Friday, June 28, 2013

Book Review Friday: Golf, Young Adult Fiction and Horror

Photo by dhammza courtesy of Flickr
(Creative Commons)

I haven't done a book-related post in almost two months.  It has now become clear that my initial goal of doing at least one literary post a week was too ambitious. While I still aim to cover as many local blogs as possible that focus on books and authors, I now realize that I cannot re-blog every book review in the Ottawa blogosphere.  As such, moving forward, I will only include one review from each local blog in Book Review Friday posts. With that in mind, here are some books that have been reviewed by areas bloggers.

Sports

The Ottawa Golf Blog writes about Loopers: A Caddie’s Twenty-Year Golf Odyssey by John Dunn.  "You don’t have to be a golfer to enjoy (this book)," reads the review.  "Loopers is a book for those of us who either once had a life of nomadic means or who just like the thrill of adventure and a good story."

Young Adult and Children's Fiction

A Glass of Wine has positive things to say about Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson.  The novel tells the story of Christine, who wakes up each morning without her memories.  Unable to recognize anything  the house she lives in, the man in bed beside her, even her own reflection  the main character is soon caught up in a thriller of a plot.  "A page turner that will certainly keep you up at night, and leave you second guessing everything," reads the review.

FireStar Books has lukewarm thoughts on PODs by Michelle Pickett.  "In two sentences, this book was good enough that I didn't dislike it but I also didn't like it," writes blogger Ashley.  "It didn't draw out any particular emotion in me."

In contrast, Maria from I Believe in Story has good things to say about The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani.  The novel tells the story of two best friends who discover the fabled School for Good and Evil, where ordinary boys and girls are trained to be fairy tale heroes and villains.

Horror

Ottawa writer Mandy DeGeit, who describes herself as an author of creepy fiction, reviews In The End, Only Darkness by Monica O’Rourke.  "When I heard she had a collection of dark poetry and short horror stories out, I was more than happy to check it out," writes DeGeit. " Not only does it satisfy my needs for well-written short stories, it was nice to meet another female writer for a penchant for the extreme. In The End, Only Darkness is sure to please the reader who seeks out fantastically written scenes of shock and gore."

No comments:

Post a Comment