Thursday, April 25, 2013

Blog Review: Pictures from the bus, and other tales

Eastern Townships I by Lia Hiltz

Lia Hiltz is an Ottawa-based artist who also happens to work as a foreign service officer.  It is tempting to call her a Canadian diplomat who paints and draws on the side, but this description would downplay her strong artistic talent, as well as her accomplishments in art-related blogging.  While Canadians can be proud that our diplomatic corps is filled with creative people like her, Ottawa residents should be equally pleased that there are such passionate artists living in our midst.

Hiltz is known in the local blogosphere through her wonderful blog Pictures from the bus, and other tales.  The original premise behind her site was to draw pictures of people she saw on the bus, and then post them online, such as the picture on the left.  Over time, however, the blog has evolved.

"We are buying a second car so I can drive my daughter to her new school starting this fall," Hiltz tells me in an email.  "This means that while I will continue blogging, I won't have the bus blog niche anymore.  This hasn't really sunk in yet."

While in the past her blog has focused on her drawings, recent posts feature her paintings, like the one at the top of this page, as well as reviews of local artists, such as this post from last month. "Originally the blog had a heavy artist review element that I am returning to," she says in her email.  "My loose goal is to know who all the area painters are.  How that will look, I don't know."

One of the things that I really enjoy about her blog is how she chronicles her evolution as an artist.  For instance, in this post Hiltz documents her experience experimenting with a scratchboard.  Overall, I found this to be a very original and appealing blog.  Whether it's trying out a new technique, sharing words of wisdom from an art teacher, or praising the work of a local artist, her blog will definitely appeal to artists and art-lovers alike.  If you want to know more about Hiltz you can read this interview from Local Tourist Ottawa.

No comments:

Post a Comment