|Photo by Fil.Al courtesy of Flickr|
Key Gray of Bulldog Ottawa reports that Rideau-Goulbourn Councillor Scott Moffatt opposes a proposed development in southwest Ottawa estimated to be valued hundreds of millions of dollars. According to Gray, a development consortium lead by an organization named Walton International is working on developing a 4,000-acre city, which would be located in a parcel of land stretching from the Manotick area to West Carleton and Kanata. In a separate blog post Gray praises Coun. Moffatt for taking this stand.
In other news, the blog Climate Ottawa notes that the City of Ottawa's roundtable on greeenhouse gases will occur on March 23, from 9 am to 2 pm, at City Hall. The Stittsville Village Association, meanwhile, is putting out the word about a petition calling for a public high school in Stittsville that will be submitted to the Ontario government on March 15.
If you are a cyclist, or are interested in cycling issues, the blog Citizens for Safe Cycling has announced that Spring Bike Ottawa 2013 (dubbed "the Bluesfest of cycling") will take place on March 23. Speakers include
- Councillor Egli - Chair of Transportation Committee;
- Carleton University Bike Advocacy Group: C.U. Cycling - Tamara Nahal
- City Wide Sports: Cycling Education Programs - Gord MacGregor
- Citizens for Safe Cycling - Simone Rivers
- Ottawa Bicycle Club - Rideau Lakes Tour - Tom Stratton
- Pathway Patrol - Kristina Saunders
- City of Ottawa Bike Update - Zlatko Krstulic, Transportation Planner, Planning and Growth Management Branch, Infrastructure Services and Community Sustainability
- Bells Corners: Cycling in the inner suburbs: Recyclore, bike-taxis, bike-shares and new initiatives - Craig MacAulay
- Safer Roads Ottawa - Rob Wilkinson
- National Capital Commission – Bike initiatives 2013 - Pascale LaLiberté.